Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dedicated to God


When I finally reached the “letting-go” stage of parenting, I thought, “I’ve done my job of parenting.  Now my girls can go out into the world and live wonderful lives!”  As they stepped into adulthood, though, there were hard issues they needed to face and grapple with, difficult relationships, conflict, decisions, pressures, etc.  When this initially started happening, I was on my knees, praying for each daughter, every day.  It was then I remembered that Dave and I had dedicated them to God when they were babies.  That prayer was not only meant for them right then, as a baby, but also for the rest of their lives.  I hunted and scrounged around to find the “prayer of dedication” that we prayed for them.  When I finally found it, it reminded me that no matter what happens, they are in God’s hands.  They belong to Him, He is their Father.  He is their Creator, and knows them through and through, and He loves them more than even Dave and I love them.  And He will never leave them. 



This prayer reminded me that I could trust God.  I could trust my daughters in His hands.  I could breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that I dedicated them to him as a child, and I still dedicate them to Him.  Their life is not based on how good of a parent I was or am, but on how big God is, and his faithfulness.



The reality of this dedication was not only giving our daughters to God, but giving ourselves, as parents, to God.  This dedication was a reference point so often during our child-raising years.  It kept me going during difficult times.   



If you haven’t dedicated your child to the Lord, it’s not too late.  Put a stake in the ground of committing them to God, and dedicating yourself to Him as Spirit-filled parents, raising and instructing your children in God’s word and His ways.  The “prayer of dedication” is not a magic prayer, shielding our children from any harm or bad in their life, but it is a reference point of Who they belong to, and are loved by.



If you have dedicated your child to the Lord, take a moment to remind yourself of that prayer.



I finally found the “prayer of dedication” we prayed for our daughters—here it is:

We do, on this day, before God and these witnesses, as Sarah’s, Ruthi’s, Rebekah’s, and Deborah’s parents, dedicate them to God, for Him to use as He, in His goodness and purpose, sovereignly chooses.  And we do dedicate ourselves to God, that we may be filled with His Spirit, and obedient to His Word, that we may instruct them in God’s Word and ways, and that we will be an example to them in words and deeds, that they will be molded into the likeness of Jesus Christ, that they may know Him as Savior and Lord, and that they may enjoy the Lord forever, and be a blessing to others.   In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment