Monday, August 5, 2013

The Power of Touch


How different our world is today than the previous generation.  Can we even remember what life was like before the digital and electronic era? Before Facebook and text messaging?  Even before television?  People would sit on the porch and talk with their neighbor.   They would eat together at each other’s homes.  Kids would ride bikes and play games together.   There’s one thing that happens during these times of being together: touch—a hug, a pat on the back, a stroke on the arm, holding a hand, even a “holy kiss”.  It brings connection in a powerful way.

I believe God designed us to need the physical touch of others.  And we have the gift of giving an appropriate touch to others.  Recently, I was watching some parents interact with their young children.  The kids were climbing on their parent’s lap, using them like a jungle gym, or sometimes just sitting there, leaning on their dad or mom’s chest.  Or, they would look up in their parent’s face to talk with them.   I realized how much I miss those times of touch when my children were young. 

I remember making a decision as a mom when my kids were little...to hug them as much as possible, and to make sure I told them at least once a day, “I LOVE YOU”.  The times that I didn’t feel like giving them a hug (but I did anyway), reminded me of how much I love them, and put life back in proper perspective.  There were times when just my loving touch with my restless child would calm them (and me) down. 

There are so many stories of Jesus touching people, especially when he was healing them.  His hands and arms brought comfort and security, even to the outcast.  Our loving touches can bring healing and comfort as well.

Take advantage of the time you have with your kids, and dole out the hugs as much as possible!  It’s a commodity like no other!

No comments:

Post a Comment