Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Intentional Marriage & Family—part 4


I just got back from my dad’s family reunion.  I hadn’t been to one for over 10 years, it was about time for me to go again.  And I’m so glad I did!  I’ll talk more about this and other types of celebrations in the coming weeks!

“Celebrate good times, come on” (sing and dance along with me)!  Our marriage journey began with a wedding celebration.  When our child was born, we had a party.  Whenever something good happens, we celebrate, whether it’s jumping up and down screaming, “Yay!”, calling our friends, or throwing a party.  CELEBRATION keeps our marriage and family relationships alive, fresh and fun!  Whether we find joy in a small incident or a large event, noticing the positive things that happen in each other’s lives give us a chance to celebrate with gratefulness.  Giving verbal praise and affirmation, or creatively expressing our joy in noticing the good our spouse or child has done, will go a long way in strengthening our relationships.  It connects us emotionally and builds a bond of trust. 

Make it a goal to celebrate at least one thing each day that you notice in your spouse or child.  Turn common events into memorable moments.  Celebrate the small stuff…as well as the big stuff.  Here are a few ideas:  take your child out for ice cream to celebrate a project they just finished; treat your husband to his favorite dessert; drive to a special place, take a picture and make a memory; break out in song and dance together; buy/make something they enjoy.  Let the celebration continue!

II Samuel 6:21  “…I will celebrate before the Lord.”
Nehemiah 8:12  “…Celebrate with great joy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment